Wednesday 9 May 2007

Offshore Banking

I've been ruminating on the suggestion by Professor Alan Blinder (poor fellow: A. Blinder - no wonder he never got the top job at the Federal Reserve) that millions of high-skilled US and UK jobs might be effectively outsourced to cheaper staff in India and China. He has focused on accountants, computer programmers and lawyers, but why not bankers too?

Certainly our Back Office could all be sent to Bangalore, as could most of the Middle Office. Those various consultants that have been inflicted on us over the last few years always long to consolidate the equity and fund research teams that are currently scattered across the world. Why not replace them altogether with a cadre of Chinese brains accessible via broadband?

But then we come to the core of the business. Could my job be done by a bright young Indian graduate based out of Mumbai? On the face of it, that seems a ridiculous proposition. This is a trust business, we all cry. Clients demand long term relationships with their private bankers. They want to be able to drop in at any moment and chat about their portfolio over a superior glass of claret. Doesn't that protect us, at least, from the Blinder effect?

I wonder. Quite a few of my clients now communicate with me almost exclusively by email and telephone. That's how they like it. I may go and visit them once a year to reinforce the relationship, but that could just as well be done as part of a grand annual tour by that young Mumbai fellow. Not great for his carbon footprint, but probably much cheaper than keeping me on.

I'm not too worried about my own job. This isn't the fastest-evolving sector of the banking industry, and I only need a few more years. But it might be another reason to discourage my son from following in his papa's venerable footsteps.

I'd be curious to hear views from bankers of all stripes. Are any of you concerned about your long-term prospects?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Outch... and here was I trying to start on a new career in PB. I should emigrate to India! and no claret for me!!!

Anonymous said...

When you hear them Indians talking, you'd be afraid, you'd be very afraid. And thinking where the new clients appear from, it's natural to get more and more Asian smooth talkers in your army.

Anonymous said...

offshore banking has often been associated with the underground economy and organized crime,however, legally, offshore banking does not prevent assets from being subject to personal income tax ....

neurotik said...

All talk of a declining finance industry scares me to death as a 2nd year Finance major. Three years ahead of me and all the jobs I've been planning can be outsourced to India within that time?

I certainly don't think so, but a creepy thought, nonetheless. History has shown, hasn't it, that outsourcing services is not quite what outsourcing production has been.

I, for one, don't understand a word an Indian guy says..

Wolfie said...

Are you not aware of the wholesale corruption which is rife in India?

I don't think clients would feel too comfortable with the prospect, even if they were Indian themselves.