Friday 19 October 2007

James the Hunter -- part two

My short time with James is over. I have given him the rest of the afternoon off.

To celebrate.

Somehow (and I'm not at all sure what strange Harrovian voodoo he employed), James has overnight acquired three clients of the first order. Two are investment bankers, young but already collecting exorbitant bonuses. The third is some kind of Lebanese social aristocrat with a passion for speedboat racing and polo, both of which it seems he can afford with enviable ease.

James has been coy about exactly what transpired in exactly which club last night. He has already acquired the private banker's taste for pantomime exaggerations of secrecy where his clients are concerned. "His clients"! I still can't get used to the idea. But it is true. He has contacted all three this morning, and after a certain amount of embarrassed but conspiratorial laughter about various (unrevealed) shared recollections he has ended up with faxed letters of agreement from all three.

I've actually found myself playing the role of his secretary for part of the morning. It has taken all my willpower not to ask exactly what form of words he used to ensnare his gold-plated prey. Undoubtedly they were clumsy and ingenuous: not words an older, established banker could make use of in his own hunting. But still - I am dying to know.

Perhaps it is just beginner's luck. Most probably it is. But who can say James isn't a demonically gifted hunter? Who can say he won't sustain it through a magnificent private banking career? I wish him all the luck in living up to his tremendous start.

And the best thing is he's extraordinarily grateful to me for suggesting last night's plan of action. He hasn't an inkling I meant it as a rather cruel joke.

A useful ally for my dotage, let's hope!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's hardly surprising that he did so well - he's young and hungry and going about it in the right way.

What you have to understand is that all banks offer similar returns on investment and similar services, the differentiator is the point of contact. A young, outgoing Lebanese socialite or banker is going to enjoy spending time with "one of their own" - I'd suggest that a young guy who goes clubbing with them is more likely to fit that tag than a middle-aged, office-bound banker.

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.