Wednesday 28 November 2007

Straw Poll

A good day. But will it last? Does anyone out there know what's going on?

Sometimes I'm tempted to move all of my clients' money into cash. Euros, probably. I think I may be too old for another prolonged teetering on the brink. Just too weary, too bored, too strained.

On the other hand, I had a drink this evening with a fund manager friend who is convinced this current uncertainty is going to make a lot of careers. Just choose the right way to jump when the cards tumble and you'll be lionised for years. Doesn't matter if all your subsequent decisions are mediocre. Your reputation will be made.

Which way to jump? Ah well, indeed. But perhaps it doesn't very much matter, so long as you jump with confidence and conviction - cleanly, and very visibly. If you get it wrong, well, lots of people will be in the same position. You lick your wounds, crawl around in humble pie for a while, and get on with it. But on the other hand, if you get it right! What glories await!

Strangely, I find that prospect less tempting than my fund manager friend. It grieves me that the appetite for glory has faded, but I fear it's undeniable. Is there a place for anyone in the City who doesn't have at least a hooded eye on the victor's laurel?

What do you think? Comments or emails please...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can see the appeal of going for glory, but is caution such a bad thing?

You have a family, maybe the wisdom that comes with time and experience puts you in a better position than the young Turks who will either make it or crash-and-burn.

Anonymous said...

personally I think we're all in for a helluva bath. get out now, while you can.