Sunday 2 September 2007

A happy Sunday

My youngest has today conquered her fear of spiders.

Somehow this seems more important than anything just now. I'm sitting back with a gin and tonic, and the banking can go to hell. Summer is nearly over, we've barely seen any of it, but at least my little girl has broken the back of her phobia.

She has spent the day with me cataloguing the surprisingly plentiful wildlife in our little ecological island. There can be no greater joy than pottering with your offspring. She is going back to school tomorrow; I must face an angry Mancunian client in the aftermath of a back office cock-up. But both of us felt glorious all day long, gloomy weather and all.

She said to me, "Daddy, I've decided I'm going to pick up a spider today."

It was as simple as that. After years of bolting in fear at every 8-legged alien in bathtub or cupboard, she calmly went off in search of her nemesis and did the deed. God knows what courage it took. But her hand, when she presented the creature to me for inspection, was perfectly steady.

Brave, brilliant girl.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing that - there's something irreplaceable about being around your kids for moments like that. Made me smile on a drab monday morning remembering the times my children did the same kind of things.